Tuesday, October 7, 2014

BLOG #5



The egg drop that we did in class was fun but I did not like how we were graded on them. It was interesting how we all got boxes filled with different items. My group was the group that had the least amount of items and a budget cut. It was for our egg not to break because I feel like we did not get enough material. I found it motivating how the Youth group compared them to the cities and real life. The discussion we had about people ability and what they have was eye opening, because I did not think an egg drop (fun activity) would be so informational. They kept stressing that we would be graded on this assignment and my group did not believe that. Another thing that was not fair was some groups got multiple eggs. This all relates back to the article we read and how people that have the access to the material can accomplish more than people who have just the ability to do so. When we looked at different places that offer more for different people, it makes sense. In my opinion, people need the access to accomplish what their ability can create. I believe that if someone wants to go to school that is high in cost an wants that educational system, then they need the money to access that particular subject. I think in rare cases someone’s ability can outweigh the access and people can achieve greatness with little access or money to back them up. But then again society is society and everyone is being judged by class.

4 comments:

  1. I found the discussion eye opening as well because like you said I did not think a fun activity like the egg drop would be so informational. I also think because everyone had fun with the activity it made them connect and understand the discussion better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that whole grading thing got a little silly, but yet again, we are pretty stressed group of college kids.. haha

    It is sad live in society that uses class to determine self-worth. I know many people to do subscribe to this, but it is a underlining U.S values on achievement, capitalism, and power..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is a misunderstanding about the grading -- your grade was not actually tied to the performance of your project. Lesley put that idea forward to push the conversation a bit. One of the takeaways we hoped you all would have was recognizing the tension between focusing on individual success/failure and recognizing/resisting/working to change systematic structures of inequity. You mention everyone being judged by class in your post -- class structures are a great example of structural inequities in this country. Thanks for your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the discussion being eye opening and really connecting the activity with the reading. I didn't think that the egg drop would go so hand in hand with what we were talking about and I think Youth in Action really did a good job of doing that.

    ReplyDelete