Sunday, November 20, 2011

Talking points # 9

"Citizenship in School: Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome"
By: Kliewer

QUOTES

Page 71
“I started to notice that I didn’t like the classes I was taking called special education. I had to go through special ed. Almost my whole life. I wanted to take other classes that interested me. I had never felt so mad, I wanted to cry”
For this quote I can relate to very much. Through out elementary and middle school I was in classes that was called special education, this was not because I had a disability. This was because I had scored low in all my test scores. I was mad that I could not be with my other friends. Being in this class in middle school with others who had low test scores I found that they were troubled students and getting into trouble a lot. I became friends with most of these students and started to get in trouble as well. By the time high school hit I just did not care enough for my grades that I still continued to score low and be in what my high school called “resource” which was the same thing as special education class. Just because it was extra help, did not mean it actually helped me. I think that all students should be in classes they feel comfortable in because I know I did not so I made the wrong friends. Finally my senor year hit and I brought my scores way up.

Page 87
“We will not recognize the diverse contributions of those who wear obscuring labels until we move out focus from the disability and look for the complexity and individuality we take for granted in ourselves. Only getting to know a person in all his or her multifaceted individuality can cause the “huge” disability (spread) to magically shrink and assume its real proportion only one small facet of a person. Only then we will find ourselves able to see and receive the variety and richness of possible gifts”
People do need to learn how to look past someone who has a disability and should not treat someone differently because of it. Everyone should be treated equally and it helps to getting to know someone. I work at a market and we have people with disabilities who work there. For me I do not treat them different I have normal conversations with them just like anyone else. I enjoy talking to my co-workers and getting to people. There is this one kid in my work who has Down syndrome and he is so interesting to talk to. He tells me about baseball and how he loves hockey. He tells me about his family and friends, and I love talking to this kid. The only thing that bothers me about my work is that he is always outside taking in carts and he never says no to anything he is asked. I personally think my managers take advantage of him and it bothers me. I have said stuff but no one listens, I even called my union on them.

Page 89
“Rather, the townspeople assumed John’s humanness, which led to community connections that further established his thoughtfulness, individuality, and community value.”
Just because someone has a disability should not mean you assume they are uneducated or not worth getting to know. This proves that just getting to know someone and not just assuming who they are, can lead to having friends and being a part of the community. Accepting is the main key to having a better society.


There are many disabilities, but everyone is capable of learning. See video below.

2 comments:

  1. Referring to your second quote, my store does the same thing. There's a guy with Autism and he's extremely shy but if you ask him to do something, he'll do it without questioning. He's a cart attendant, and whenever any of the other attendants work they complain about their job and complain that Josh (the guy with Autism) doesn't do anything. I don't talk to him just because he's extremely shy, but when he collects the trash from Starbucks for me I always make sure to thank him, which makes him smile. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. On your first quote, I really hate that the education system relies so much on test scores. Just because someone does not score well on a test does not mean they are incapable, could have been having a bad day or just are not good written test takers. I think there needs to be a better system because a lot of kids get put in the lower classes that dont need to be there. And instead of being challenged or taught well they just start not to care anymore and this shouldnt happen.

    ReplyDelete