Sunday, October 9, 2011

Unlearning the Myths That bind Us (by: Christensen)

Talking points #4 
Reflection:
It was said in this article that children are manipulated by all kinds of media. 
When I read how all Disney movies give out a stereotype image, I never thought about it until I read "Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us".
 When I was a child I would watch all the Disney movies but it never occurred to me that they were raciest, sexist, and had stereotypes. I also did not realize until now that there were no African American princesses. But today they did come out with the princess and the frog and she is African American. They toys I had growing up, like the princesses Ariel or Belle, they were pretty, skinny, white, and rich looking with the gowns and accessories they came with. When you’re growing up feeing what they look like, you do want to look like them and be skinny and pretty, this also puts at lot of pressure on young girls. All the Princesses stories were all the same, they were finding their "Prince Charming". The prince is always a white male who is very good looking and everyone wants to be with. Also in these films the "villains" were dark and hideous at sometimes overweight. Now that I have read this article and I think back I do realize that these movies did create a stereotype in all the films I have watched.

To the left the white handsome prince charming
In the middle, the skinny pretty princess
And to the right the overweight and hideous villain.

3 comments:

  1. I felt the same, I have seen like every Disney movie made not gonna lie. I never thought about how it suggests stereotyping either. Yet i do think they are getting better at making it more multicultural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you also but now that i look back i have decided i need to teach my children to not fall into the stereotyping traps. everyone doesn't have to look like that and everyone is beautiful in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad how sexist a lot of Disney movies are. Most of the powerful female characters are villians.

    ReplyDelete