Sunday, September 18, 2011

Argument

Kozol argues in “Amazing Grace”, that people do not understand what others go through, and why people with little or no money get treated horribly different. For example, when it was said that people of higher affluence would go to the poor community and dump trash that they do not want, this was disrespectful to those people who to live there due to circumstances beyond their control.
Parker argues in his poem “For the White Person Who Wants to be my Friend” that people judge African Americans all the same, all of them like only soul music or only eat soul food and know everything "black". His argument is, don’t try so hard to prove that you do not see me as different from you, because when you do it proves how different you really see me.
            First of all, I agreed with the poem “For the White Person Who Wants to be my Friend”. People should not judge others the same just because they are the same color. People should not just assume anything about a person without getting to know them. When I read “Amazing Grace” I was disturbed at the conditions people had to go through and what the children had to see. It was said that children call heroin the “needle drug”, no child should know anything about this let alone live with it. Also many people were drug users, prostitutes, or had Aids and with all the murders, this reminded me of an episode of Law and Order because to me growing up the way I did, not exposed to any of this, it was surreal. I am so thankful for what I have and how I grew up not knowing.

1 comment:

  1. Love all the connections you make here... now want to see you dig more deeply into at least one of the texts to get at the overall message and claim the author is posing...

    ReplyDelete